The Carver Center has served as a meeting place for a variety of social and community organizations since its construction. The oldest section of the building was constructed circa 1915 by the Sunlight Elks Lodge at the rear of an existing dwelling that had been used as a clubhouse. That building was removed in 1927, and the existing, two-story building erected on Fowler Street. In 1944, the property was acquired by the Y.M.C.A. to serve the Black community, replacing its facility on Spring Street. The building served as a social center for the community, hosting nationally known acts like Cab Calloway and Fats Waller, as well as a meeting place for organizations including the State Conference of the NAACP and the New Jersey Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs. The latter organization, founded in Trenton in 1915, acquired the property in 1975. It is currently home to the Carver Youth and Family Center, assisting members of the community who struggle financially.