William “Bill” Lacy (1927-2015) was an Army musician, jazz club owner and the leader of the Bill Lacy Quartet. He also played trumpet and flugelhorn in a number of local ensembles, such as the Philadelphia Clef Club orchestra.As a child, he also played trumpet in the Colored YMCA band at Trenton’s Carver Center (pictured below). Lacy graduated from Lincoln School and Trenton Central High School and studied at the Philadelphia Academy of Music, according to his obituary. He later served with the all-black 427th Army Band as well — the last segregated military band.
Lacy owned H&H Jazz House in Trenton for a number of years.
In 2006, Lacy released his first CD on the Dreambox Media label, The Gift of Life.